Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Vagabond in Ohio!

Lines from a few of my favorite traveling songs echoed through my head as I loaded up Edward (my Volvo and fearless driving machine) with Dad. With John Denver singing, All my bags are packed, I’m ready to go, I felt confident as we strategically managed to fit all my belongings into the car with enough room for me and Jay -- and of course Celeste (my bike) on the roof. As I assumed the position in the drivers seat and slipped the shift into gear, I turned on the most appropriate song I could think of, Vagabond by Wolfmother (I highly suggested finding it on YouTube and listening...fantastic! Thank you, Laura for introducing me.). Once I picked up Jay, said “goodbye” to Mom and Dad, and drove by the ocean just one last time, the road became our paper and Edward the pen as we began to transcribe our adventure into life. As the miles passed, the familiarities I grew accustomed to faded as new and untraveled land lay before me. The memories of visiting family and friends throughout New England, the long rides to soccer games and track meets, and the comfort of knowing home did not involve more than a two hour drive, granted Boston traffic favored in my direction, resurfaced and produced a feeling of bittersweetness. Since accepting this position, fear has not interrupted my optimism. No feelings of apprehension have surfaced during this whole process which provides me with the reassurance I made the right choice. 
So, I drove from Dartmouth to Stroudsburg, PA which had its fair share of interesting things. The punny sign of the day award goes to New Jersey with “Give us a brake, slow down!” We decided to grab something to eat at a diner in Stroudsburg called “Triplets Family Restaurant.” Apparently craving some additional protein for my practically-a-vegetarian diet, I felt the need for a tuna salad wrap. Now, after roughly 5 hours of driving and only one break in Connecticut, my brain did not exactly know how to function properly… and neither did my mouth, apparently. The waitress asked what I would like and as I spoke I could hear my struggle. The mumbled nonsense of “tuna salad” came out, finished off with “wrap” in a terrible southern accent. Even I wasn’t sure what I said as the waitress kindly asked, “what?” Needless to say, Jay took over the driving from that point for the rest of day and I sure did not complain! I love the passenger seat! A ways down the road in Pennsylvania we decided to stop for gas. For the first time I saw a man dust with one of those fancy feather-looking contraptions… except he wasn’t dusting an end table, but his car. A little too obsessed if you ask me. The rain finally stopped and we got some blue skies and priceless views of farmland… which there’s plenty of out here. Also, news about host family -- I have one! I’ll be staying with a nurse practitioner who works at the clinic I’ll be at. Her family has a farm which I’m very excited about! I’ve always said if nursing doesn’t work out, I’d love to be a farmer. Alas, our night ends in Girard, Ohio after a slightly sketchy stop at the rest stop just over the Ohio border. Day one complete. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Ohio is a great state...some of America's best pots were made there...you'll be driving through a very pretty part of the state as you trek onward and upward...love D&P

    ReplyDelete