Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Roma

So my train ride to Rome was a wonderful ride. I got a little confused when i boarded the train because it was so nice! Trenitalia all the way! With only the ticket originally to Milan, when i got to the station and asked how i could get to Rome, there was a train leaving in only 30 minutes... So i hoped on, enjoyed the countryside, saw a double rainbow, and landed in rome around 10 p.m. I had good vibes about Rome, and Italy in general, and i was in good spirits. The directions to the hostel were quite simple and I got there with no problem. The hostel was a little less nice than the ones i previously stayed and felt more like a frat house. When I came in, there was a really sweet girl named Stacey from australia who was in the bunk under me. We talked for a bit and it's a bummer i wasnt staying longer because I'm sure we could have hung out. Either way, I was exhausted and really needed to get some rest. I had plans to wake up early and check out the sights before moving on to Florence the next night. Well, my sleep was quickly interrupted by the sound of the showers that were the room next door and some really obnoxious boys that were staying in the same room. I mean, REALLY obnoxious. So i didn't exactly sleep as well as i would have liked and somehow i shut off the alarm on my phone so i woke up a little later than I wanted but it was okay. I packed my things up and, luckily, was able to keep my luggage at the hostel until my train... Well, that i needed to find out about. My first mission was to get to the station and figure out that situation. I don't think I've had a smoother booking experience and I got not only my train to Florence tonight, but also my overnight train to Vienna tomorrow! Phew! Now i could make my way to the colesseum and then make a big look to the pantheon and trevi fountain before i needed to leave. Well, i got lost, of course, but managed to find my way. Again it was one of those look up and go "OH! There it is!" it was really funny how th is ancient building is situated in the middle of a busy intersection. I guess you just have to work around it... I waited about 1 1/2 hours to actually get in and it was kind of chaotic. There didn't seem to be much of a system and it s a free for all when i got to the ticket counter. By that time i was tired and getting a little grumpy, so the whole experience was a little thrown off. It was certainly really fascinating to see, but i think I'm at the point where I'm really tied of being one in at least 3000 in one place and one time. I started to think about my little rural town and began to miss the lack of commotion... Which i never though I'd say. I left shortly after and began to make my way to the pantheon and again got lost. During this time it started pouring rain and of course I was ill-prepared. With no rain coat or sweater, and wearing a white tshirt of all things, I got drenched. I stopped in at a nearby cafe and decided to have some lunch which was delicious! I ordered some pasta with a spicy tomato sauce and a nice glass of Pinot grigio. It hit the spot. When i left, the rain slowed a little but quickly picked up after only a few blocks of walking. At this point I had it. My grumpiness was getting more and more so i stopped for some delicious gelato and decided forget the other tourist attractions, theres just simply no way that's going to happen today. So now I'm back at the hostel, waiting to leave for my train. I am ready for a quieter place. I guess living rural has given me only so much patience for the city. I'm hoping that Vienna will be a little less crowded compared to these big tourist destinations. If not, I might have to hibernate for the next few days because I'm pretty worn out. Between the stressors of Paris, walking around everywhere, and lack of sleep, I'm looking forward to moving on and getting to the home stretch. Of course its great to be in these amazing places, but it's also seriously overwhelming and exhausting. Will write more when i get to florence. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment