Thursday, July 12, 2012

A bittersweet ending to an incredible journey

(I was asked to put together a collection of the work we what I completed with the Health Home project. Follow the link above to check it out!)


The staff of the Pomeroy Medical Clinic (minus Sonny and Lisa)


On the eve of my last day as the AmeriCorps Rural Health Promoter at Garfield County Hospital District, I find it best to reflect on the past near two years of what has been an incredibly life changing experience. Many of you who followed my blog during its initial stages lived through some of the more difficult parts of my sojourn. Uncertainty inundated my thoughts, but over time my writing became less and less as I became more comfortable in my new "home," but my struggles still remained internally.

Some of you may know that in May of last year I nearly rescinded the verbal commitment I provided a few months prior to serve a second year of AmeriCorps. Solitude overcame me and I just couldn't see myself continuing to stay in such a remote place. After a trip to San Francisco to visit my wonderful friend, mentor, and woman who inspired me to serve others, Hilary, I returned with a decision made: I needed to leave Pomeroy. I shared my concerns with Michele and we decided to talk with Andrew, our CEO, to determine the next steps for GCHDs AmeriCorps recruiting process. During a tearful discussion with Michele and Andrew, I was truly torn. Pomeroy was indeed a special place to me at that point, but not enough (I thought) to make me stay another year. As Andrew rushed to a meeting, I vividly remember him putting his hand on my shoulder and telling me, "Whatever you decide to do, we support you. Just do what's best for you, Kate." 

Shortly after our conversation, I was on the road again. This time to Portland to speak about my service at the NorthWest Service Symposium. Along the way, I called my closest friends seeking advice. Each agreed that I needed to move forward -- I clearly wasn't happy. While in Portland, I found myself making numerous pros and cons lists on places I'd potentially live and jobs I thought I'd want to apply to. I had never felt so torn. There was still one more person who needed to know... Susie. Most know that Susie quickly filled the Mom role after my arrival to Pomeroy, a position not included in the job description of "AmeriCorps Supervisor." I knew telling Susie would be incredibly difficult as we came to dependent on each other in both professional and personal settings. As my worries about staying a second year released through sniffles and tears, Susie expressed a similar sentiment as Andrew had earlier: "Do whatever makes you happy," she said, "As hard as it will be if you leave, I will support you either way." 

When I left Portland, I knew exactly what I needed to do and Pomeroy was not in the plan. I knew moving forward would be difficult, but the support I was being extended granted some comfort in my decision. As the hours passed, I finally reached the home stretch and as I saw the outline of the sign that first greeted me when I arrived on that warm August night less than a year before, something began to change. My emotions seemed to settle. I felt the warmth of a tear roll down my cheek. I thought, "I'm not done here." Not more than a few weeks later, I pushed the 'send' button on an email message to provide written commitment to Michele that I would serve another year as an AmeriCorps volunteer. I realized that I could neither leave the project that had become my passion nor the community that I soon learned was my family.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect when I returned to Washington after Europe. Looking back, thought, extending my service for a second year will forever remain a decision I'll always know as right. he personal growth I've had in my second year excelled in ways I never knew possible. In truth, I would not be in the position I am today -- preparing to move to Seattle to commence the Masters of Public Health Community Oriented Public Health Practice program at the University of Washington -- had I not continued my service. In a way, I feel as though I proved my commitment to this community and gained the trust of a great majority of folks. Though there's no hesitation to poke fun at my vegetarian meals or recycling ways, I earned the respect of individuals who I now call family. I'm no longer just "that girl from Boston," but a respected community leader. 

This week has been an exceptionally bittersweet one at best. And as I prepare myself to make that trek one last time across the Alpowa, I can not help but think about how lucky and grateful I am to everyone, from Massachusetts to Washington, who supported me throughout this experience. Hardly did I imagine finding "home" nestled between wheat fields and long stretches of open land, but it seems life often offers opportunities in the most unlikely of places. So until the next adventure, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment