Sunday, September 12, 2010

The truth about Pomeroy.

Now, many of you have asked, "So Kate, what's life like out there? Do people have teeth? Are there tumbleweeds? Do they still have bunny ears on their TV sets? Do they know what the “internet” is? Are there still horse and buggies being used?" All valid points, and quite honestly... I asked myself those same questions when I walked around with the google man, and even more so when I drove through town the first night. So let me demystify this little place called Pomeroy for you and hopefully you'll have a little better picture... though it's hard to truly understand it unless you're here -- trust me.
Are tumbleweeds real? -  Yes, tumbleweeds aren’t just some made up Hollywood plant. They often get caught under your car, in your shoelaces, and the spokes of your bike wheels. These are much friendlier than the killer tumbleweeds. These malicious plants lurk on the roadside, waiting for bicyclists to ride over them so they can pierce through their tire. I learned this the hard way...
Do they still have dial-up internet? --  Not that I’ve experienced but, it’s no high speed either. You learn quickly when moving west the need for patience -- especially when it comes to the internet. Internet, wi-fi, e-mails, and even facebook have possessed the minds in the most remote places.  Someone told me that if it wasn't for the internet, the isolation you normally feel in this desolate place would surpass borderline insanity. Granted some older folks may think the world wide web is some hippie driven idea that brings our world together like a spider web to create an illusion of a world more peaceful because we’re all connected, well that's to be expected anywhere. Either way, loading google often takes more than the 1.53 seconds but like they say, “patience is a virtue.”
Is there really only one bar? --  Ready to bar hop? Well, I can guarantee everyone will eventually end up at the same place, because you have all of one to choose from, called the Up & Up. Ready to envision it? Imagine a biker bar minus the leather and Sturgis signs, add some creative broomsticks used for pool cues and a bunch of locals your Dad’s age and older… and there you have it. Oh, and you can’t forget the tire marked floors from when someone rode their motorcycle inside. So, don't expect to meet your true love there, unless of course thats your type. They have no draft beers but have a wide selection of budweiser, bud light lime, keystone, and coors... Maybe even busch light. 
What sorts of fun things can you do? -- Well, like most towns out west, fairs and festivals fill nearly every weekend. Pomeroy has the Garfield County Fair, and it’s a BIG deal. The whole town revolves around fair weekend. Book club doesn't start until after the fair, wellness committees 6-week health challenge starts after the fair... I'm surprised they don't start school until after the fair. Luckily, I get to experience it first hand! It's the weekend of September 17-19 and I'll be volunteering at the hospitals "cabin." I hear its quite the experience. Apparently they have chicken races which basically involves small children chasing chickens. Hm...
Are there really 11 churches? -- As you drive into town, from either direction, a small brown sign with a white cross sitting on top greets you. This sign lists all 11 denominations of churches in Pomeroy, and for a town of almost 2,000, I consider that a lot. So, you'll never miss mass on Sunday because if you miss the service at one, you have ten others to choose from. Here's where I'd like to make a point, though. As most of you know, I’m not religious in the least bit and frankly, I avoid it at all costs. Now, I received full warning of the 11 churches situation and I won't deny my nerves regarding whether I'd be lured into some religious cult. Small town, lots of churches, middle of nowhere... uh, Jim Jones anyone? People take religion seriously here, and I absolutely respect that. But what's great is they don't force it on you like I anticipated. Sure I've been invited to join a church, but I kindly declined without incident. And when Mondays come around no one asks, "Did you go to church?" Phew…
Does is smell funny? -- Actually, on some days it does. You see, I’m literally surrounded by wheat fields. Literally everywhere. Coming from the northeast, it’s hard to wrap your head around this concept. The first time I actually stepped foot on Pomeroy territory, I noticed the smell of grain first. I think the scent of yeast best describes it. And when you go into Lewiston, the smell of pulp overtakes you on certain days -- all depending on the weather and work schedule. You kind of get used to it.
Are there trees to hug? -- Barely. Now when I say the land ripples like the result of dropping a rock in water, I mean it. The rolling hills go up and down like roller coaster and you can see for miles and miles, mostly because trees don’t obstruct your view. Now there are some pines and other variations, but nothing like New England. The landscape looks more like the grass when we’ve had a heat wave and no rain for a few weeks. Very dry and hay colored. Also, I may not have experience Chicago wind, but it gets wicked windy out here! I mean, when I rode up to the Alpowa summit, I nearly blew over on my bike. 
What’s the highway like? -- Well, it’s no Mass Pike or 93 in Boston. Actually, it’s hard to define call it a highway. Traffic is hardly an issue unless you get stuck behind an 18-wheeler or tractor. Going into Pomeroy by the east, the speed limit changes from 60 mph to 40 mph to 45 mph  to 55 mph to 35 mph to 25 mph. Talk about bipolar, poor Edward. 
Do people actually go out on Main Street? -- Yes, it’s quite the bustling place during the week. Tons of cars passing through and people walking the streets. Things to know: Coffee shops exist in hardware stores. The Soggy Bottom officially reopened. Rumor has it there’s a liquor store in the flower shop. Lots of antique stores and bed and breakfast places. The library has DVDs and Inter-Library Loan (ILL… score!).
So I hope this answers some of your questions… and don't worry, people are normal and just like New Englanders except more outdoorsy and laid back. 

1 comment:

  1. Well it seems like you met my kind of people ,hornest and laid back.
    Can't wait to go bar hop,or do they have NA beer. Im sure we can walk thru town and injoy the fresh air.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete