Monday, November 15, 2010

Canola* you please come visit? (*Can all of)

I find it quite mystifying how quickly life’s emotions can veer you. As you probably gathered from my previous entry, my psyche apparently took a trip back to Silverwood and rode the Panic Plunge. However, this weekend I returned to the summit of that great solo hike up Kendall Katwalk and, in a figurative sense,  I felt so high on life (cliché and pun all in one!). When I gather enough energy and can focus for an extended period of time, I’ll write about the really fascinating, and unexpected, experiences I had during my travels to the Bridges Out of Poverty simulation/seminar, the Washington Health Foundation Health Summit, and my AmeriCorps training. But before I can address those topics, I find it necessary to update you on how my mind feels these days -- far more important than reading about how to write grants and the frequent buyer cards that keeps track of the foods you’re buying. So, what made this weekend so great that I went from really bummed to having fun? Mild tangent -- I hope you laughed at that rhyme. Well, let me tell you. Simply combine an empty house (ironic considering I feel lonely, I know), successful experimentation with cooking, discovering an amazing food co-op and other awesome hidden treasures nearby, and meeting some truly incredible and unique individuals. Just a few of the ingredients for the recipe of revitalization! With Ron, Lisa, and Nate away for the weekend, as much as I missed them and the quietness of the house sort of freaked me out, it was the perfect KFo time. Defeated with a borderline migraine on Friday, I stayed home from work… extending my weekend and giving me more time to recuperate from all the traveling of the previous few weeks. I seriously needed a break. I rested most of the day, knitting and watching cheesy movies on Netflix. I had big plans for Saturday so I didn’t want to overdo it. Craving a bit of culture, hipsters, and retail therapy, I headed to Moscow Saturday morning with plenty of places to go on my list -- but really, I just wanted to finally find the Moscow Food Co-op. I’ll just be straightforward. I found my true love. I’ve been searching all over the west for a place thats completely me, and there it was. A place I passed so many times; I’m embarrassed by my lack of observational skills. As I approached the electronic sliding door, my smile immediately protruded, stretching from ear to ear. Not only were a row of bikes standing before me, but they were being held up by none-other than a bicycle rack shaped (and painted) like a sunflower. This was only the beginning. Immediately I walked towards the fresh, organic produce. The beautiful colors of fruits and vegetables sparked my weary eyes as they widened with joy. I’m not sure I’ve ever been quite so excited about lettuce and radishes in my life. With each step, I had a difficult time taking in all the wonderfully arranged foods -- each touching my heart with their non-GMOs and animal friendliness.  The entire shopping experience really made me feel great in so many ways. I felt my true self finally back. People talked with you and smiled. As I checked out my groceries, the cashier, a lovely older lady, gave me the best run-down of their co-op membership (which I of course invested in -- partly as a co-pay for the successful therapy they unintentionally provided). Unlike at other grocery stores or pharmacies where you are asked if you’d like a free shopping card and you receive it, I found out how great this membership really is! A worthy investment, and an excuse to visit Moscow more often. With a grin glistening on my face, I left knowing I was no longer in the epicenter of my own natural disaster. Again, I spent another evening to myself, knitting, watching movies, and teaching myself the ukulele. I made another successful dish for dinner, polenta with eggplant and tomato ratatouille -- something I’d been wanting to make for quite some time. So if I can reiterate something I always preach, but hardly practice, take time for yourself when you’re feeling down. You’d be amazed at how easily you can elope into happiness when you do things you always say you never have time for. And as far as my loneliness is concerned, I met some really great people Sunday night in Waitsburg -- a small town similar (somewhat) to Pomeroy -- and they introduced me to a bar I never imagined would exist in Waitsburg. Think trendy suburban, city bar. Modern with fancy cocktails. I’m talking 5-star quality. Yeah, in a really obscure place. Such a great find though, and finally, a glimpse of un-rural life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment