Tuesday, November 16, 2010

D-I-A-B-E-T-E-S

Diabetes: a word I’ve written and spelt correctly several hundred times. I don’t recall ever misspelling it before, and if I did, I trusted spell check or a proofreader to correct my most likely delirious studying stupor. So last Friday when I received a message from one of the ladies at the front office of the hospital about the misspelling of ‘diabetes’ on the monthly awareness poster I constructed, confusion overtook me. “Hmph,” I thought, “I know I rushed making that poster, but I’m certain I would have noticed if I spelt diabetes wrong!” Nerves also got the best of me. As I recited the message over and over in my head, I worried I may have upset some people since I was told several people commented on it, some considering it a joke, others regarding it as a slightly serious issue. They’re probably cursing, “That masshole can’t even spell… and she’s a nurse!” Yikes. “Of all days,” I thought. I didn’t feel well; my head aching and face losing more and more color by the second. On my way to head home sick for the day, I decided I needed to check out the situation, otherwise my mind would keep racing and it simply needed a break. I trekked up the hill, through the door and planted myself in front of my poster. Minutes passed. I kept reading the same words over and over. “What the heck are they talking about…” I began muttering, “Maybe I’m missing something?” I kept searching. People walked by, “Whatcha doing Kate?” they asked. “Trying to figure out what’s wrong with this poster,” I replied. I didn’t understand. “Am I that blind or just really not feeling well,” I contemplated. Finally snapping out of my deep concentration, I noticed footsteps and a voice calling out. “So, are you trying to figure out what’s spelt wrong?” asked Derek from x-ray. “Yeah, I don’t get it! I don’t understand! It’s spelt right… right?” He gently put his hand on my shoulder and walked me down the hall. He began to explain, “Josh (our prankster PA)played a joke on you. He had Alicia call down after you left the other day devilishly hoping you’d be at your desk and would have to come back up to check the poster. There’s nothing wrong with it.” Dang! I fell for it! Completely caught off guard. I should’ve known. 

No comments:

Post a Comment